About Us

terrell-county

GCB

Rooted In The Past.
Growing To The Future.

Although our multiple branches only began doing business under the name of Georgia Community Bank in 2019, our roots run all way the back to September 8, 1922, when Citizens State Bank opened for business on Winston Street in downtown Reynolds, Georgia. Over the past nine decades, we have expanded our community banking presence to Terrell County, Lee County, Seminole County, Early County, and Crawford County.

 

Much has changed in banking since 1922, but one thing that remains the same are the community-oriented principles upon which our first bank was founded.

Our Timeline

Nearly A Century Serving Communities
Across Southwest Georgia

1922

On September 8, 1922, the Citizens State Bank of Taylor County opened for business on Winston Street in downtown Reynolds, Georgia. It was started by C. H. Neisler.

1936

On May 1, 1936, Bank of Terrell opened for business in the banking house on Main Street in Dawson, Georgia in the space formerly occupied by the Dawson National Bank. Well-known capitalists and businessmen of Dawson organized the bank, with W.B. Haley of Albany serving as President, J.T. Haley of Albany as Vice-President, and R.C. Shepherd of Arlington as Cashier.

1955 - 1959

R. C. Brooks and William Henry VanLandingham purchased the bank in Reynolds and the bank in Butler, both operating as Citizens State Bank. In 1959 Mr. VanLandingham purchased the Reynolds location from Mr. Brooks.

1967

On March 22, 1967, Bank of Terrell opened the doors to a new home at the corner of Lee Street and Stonewall Street. At the time, Rufus A. Hill was President, W. Gerue Dunn was Vice President, William Henry VanLandingham was Vice President of the board, R.R. Jones was Chairman of the Board, Robert T. Brown was Cashier, and Richard Forrester was Vice President. Other board members included J.W. Whitaker, M.D. Laing, W.C. Woodall Jr., Dr. Walter D. Martin, and J.G. Wright.

1972

In April 1972, the Citizens State Bank of Taylor County moved to a new building located on Winston Street just a block north of the original location. It continues to operate from this location.

1997

Commercial State Bank expanded its presence in 1997, with the purchase of the former First Federal Savings Bank branch in Blakely, Georgia.

2013

The Citizens State Bank of Taylor County expanded its presence in 2013, with the purchase of the former CertusBank branch office in Roberta. The new branch began doing business as the Citizens State Bank of Crawford County.

1934

On January 1, 1934, Citizens State Bank of Taylor becomes FDIC insured.

1938

On December 16, 1938, Commercial State Bank opened for business on Main Street in Donalsonville, Georgia with L. R. Robinson serving as President, Dr. M. M. Minter and Ellison Dunn as Vice-Presidents, and D. F. Wurst as Cashier. Assistant cashiers were Jean Martin and Edgar Mosley. The Total Capital Accounts were $25,000.00.

1960 -1961

In 1960 Hugh D. Broome, Sr. acquired Commercial State Bank in Donalsonville with A. A. Parker, E. C. Mosley, John I. Spooner, M. G. Driskell as Directors and Jean Rushing as the Acting Cashier. The following year, William Henry VanLandingham bought controlling interest in the bank and became President. E. C. Mosely was Vice-President and Ellen Spier, Cashier.

1969

In 1969, a beautiful new building was erected for Commercial State Bank at West Second Street in Donalsonville, with Mr. VanLandingham as Chairman of the Board and E. C. Moseley as President.

1979 - 1980

After Mr. VanLandingham’s death in 1979, his widow, Mary Lou VanLandingham, took control of Citizens State Bank, becoming President / CEO in 1980.

2002

Bank of Terrell expanded its presence in 2002 with the opening of a full service bank office located at 3000 North Slappey Blvd. in Lee County, Georgia, under the name of Bank of Lee County, A Division of Bank of Terrell.

2019

The Citizens State Bank of Taylor County, Bank of Terrell, Commercial State Bank, Bank of Lee County, Citizens State Bank of Crawford County, and all other affiliates of Georgia Community Bancorp, Inc begin doing business under the joint name Georgia Community Bank.

1922

On September 8, 1922, the Citizens State Bank of Taylor County opened for business on Winston Street in downtown Reynolds, Georgia. It was started by C. H. Neisler.

1934

On January 1, 1934, Citizens State Bank of Taylor becomes FDIC insured.

1938

On December 16, 1938, Commercial State Bank opened for business on Main Street in Donalsonville, Georgia with L. R. Robinson serving as President, Dr. M. M. Minter and Ellison Dunn as Vice-Presidents, and D. F. Wurst as Cashier. Assistant cashiers were Jean Martin and Edgar Mosley. The Total Capital Accounts were $25,000.00.

1936

On May 1, 1936, Bank of Terrell opened for business in the banking house on Main Street in Dawson, Georgia in the space formerly occupied by the Dawson National Bank. Well-known capitalists and businessmen of Dawson organized the bank, with W.B. Haley of Albany serving as President, J.T. Haley of Albany as Vice-President, and R.C. Shepherd of Arlington as Cashier.

1955 - 1959

R. C. Brooks and William Henry VanLandingham purchased the bank in Reynolds and the bank in Butler, both operating as Citizens State Bank. In 1959 Mr. VanLandingham purchased the Reynolds location from Mr. Brooks.

1960 -1961

In 1960 Hugh D. Broome, Sr. acquired Commercial State Bank in Donalsonville with A. A. Parker, E. C. Mosley, John I. Spooner, M. G. Driskell as Directors and Jean Rushing as the Acting Cashier. The following year, William Henry VanLandingham bought controlling interest in the bank and became President. E. C. Mosely was Vice-President and Ellen Spier, Cashier.

1967

On March 22, 1967, Bank of Terrell opened the doors to a new home at the corner of Lee Street and Stonewall Street. At the time, Rufus A. Hill was President, W. Gerue Dunn was Vice President, William Henry VanLandingham was Vice President of the board, R.R. Jones was Chairman of the Board, Robert T. Brown was Cashier, and Richard Forrester was Vice President. Other board members included J.W. Whitaker, M.D. Laing, W.C. Woodall Jr., Dr. Walter D. Martin, and J.G. Wright.

1969

In 1969, a beautiful new building was erected for Commercial State Bank at West Second Street in Donalsonville, with Mr. VanLandingham as Chairman of the Board and E. C. Moseley as President.

1972

In April 1972, the Citizens State Bank of Taylor County moved to a new building located on Winston Street just a block north of the original location. It continues to operate from this location.

1979 - 1980

After Mr. VanLandingham’s death in 1979, his widow, Mary Lou VanLandingham, took control of Citizens State Bank, becoming President / CEO in 1980.

1997

Commercial State Bank expanded its presence in 1997, with the purchase of the former First Federal Savings Bank branch in Blakely, Georgia.

2002

Bank of Terrell expanded its presence in 2002 with the opening of a full service bank office located at 3000 North Slappey Blvd. in Lee County, Georgia, under the name of Bank of Lee County, A Division of Bank of Terrell.

2013

The Citizens State Bank of Taylor County expanded its presence in 2013, with the purchase of the former CertusBank branch office in Roberta. The new branch began doing business as the Citizens State Bank of Crawford County.

2019

The Citizens State Bank of Taylor County, Bank of Terrell, Commercial State Bank, Bank of Lee County, Citizens State Bank of Crawford County, and all other affiliates of Georgia Community Bancorp, Inc begin doing business under the joint name Georgia Community Bank.